Monday, February 26, 2007

Snow Bunnies

This weekend was our annual trip up North with RM's entire family. Since all the kids ski we naturally go to Boyne. it's a great time for all of us to be together and reconnect. We never saw the kids because they were always out skiing, snowboarding or at the water park. So us adults had fun with some skiing, good wine and lots of laughs. An added bonus is my SIL is a knitter! I lured her to the craft two summers ago and now she take her needles everywhere. SIL is working on an adorable purse that I fawned over enough (as a blatant hint) that maybe I'll be the lucky recipient.

I am making good progress on the simple wrap sweater. I think I am going to re-name this sweater Ouch. Not because it is a bad pattern or design, but because I have learned a lot about shaping. The hard way. It has not been painless. I have learned that I must be ever watchful of my stitch count. Plus reading ahead in the pattern, but not too far ahead, might be a way of catching some of the decrease issues earlier. All that said, both front panels are complete and about 1/3 of the back panel is done. No sense complaining, but plain stockinette over 120 stitches for 21 inches can be a little ho hum.

Keep your eye on the goal, Trixie, eye on the goal.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh I am sooooo jealous of your ski trip!! It sounds like you had a fab time. Good luck with theouch knitting! S

Robin said...

Sounds like a perfect trip - especially the good wine part. I haven't seen the pattern for the wrap sweater - is there a picture of it online?

smlevy82 said...

I am struggling with the same Debbie Bliss wrapover! I finished one front panel only to find out that it was about 20cm too long. I know that my gauge is correct, and I think that my problem is all with the part “keeping armhole edge straight cont to dec at neck edge on every foll 4th row until 19sts rem.” Anyway, the way I read the pattern it seemed to saying that I should do one decrease every 4th row (it took me 76 rows to get down to 19th sts). BUT as I was doing it and after I measured the final product, it seemed like I should have been doing 2 decreases per 4 rows. I have reread the pattern about 1000 times, and I still can’t figure out where things went wrong. I was wondering since you finished both panels (yay!), if you have any thoughts on where the heck I went wrong, and how I can make this right?!?!?!

Thanks
Shauna

trixie stix said...

Shauna ~ I did just what you did. Then, as you guessed, I did a double decrease every fourth row and . . . Shazam! . . . it worked out. The Debbie Bliss site had no errata on it, so I am assuming we are free to do what we want.

I am in the middle of knitting the back panel, so watch back to see if it worked out. Please let me know if you get yours done before me. Would love to see pictures.

smlevy82 said...

Awesome! I am so glad to hear that it worked out doing the double knit decrease! I really wanted to figure out what I was doing wrong before starting over! I am way behind you (especially since I have to start over), and I am sure that you will finish first. I will keep you posted on my progress. I have decided to take a Debbie Bliss holiday after this because her pattern wording is too confusing for me. Thanks again!